Futerra is a change agency – a hybrid strategy consultancy and creative agency. We imagine better, brighter ways of doing things and then work with people who can make them happen. And we’re driven by our mission to make sustainable development so desirable it becomes normal. We believe sustainability is a billion-dollar opportunity and we work with the world’s leading brands to find and unlock that opportunity through smart strategy and powerful creative.
We join the logic of strategy and the magic of creative to make change happen.
Our clients are giant global brands, non-profits and foundations. We work across issues including climate change, gender equality, mental health, human rights and ocean plastics, in industries spanning technology, beauty and personal care, fashion, food and sports. Our deliverables include sustainability strategies and branded platforms; brand purpose strategy and creative work; and issue campaigns for brand and non-profit clients. But our real deliverable is change. For example, we helped a client commit to a $15-hour minimum wage for all employees; another to block the repeal of co-pay free birth control for Americans; and another to engage over 1 billion people to fight illegal wildlife trafficking. We only work on projects that are mission aligned and we use our skills as marketers, strategists and creatives to change the world for the better.
We were founded in 2003 in the UK and are now 70 people globally with offices in London, NY, Stockholm and Mexico City. NY is the second biggest Futerra office.
MORE ABOUT YOU
Your role as VP of Strategy will be to harness the power of strategy to create positive change through our client work and our own thought leadership. We’re looking for someone who has the ability to work across Logic and Magic to help our clients to set big, bold visions for the change they want to lead and develop the detailed strategy framework and roadmap to deliver it. All in a way that generates value for clients.
You define sustainability in its broadest sense and are familiar with cutting edge thinking and practice across a broad spectrum of issues: from climate justice and the circular economy to women’s empowerment and human rights.
You will have developed skills in the following sustainability strategy disciplines:
- Stakeholder engagement and materiality
- Sustainability vision and strategy development
- Goal-setting and KPI development
- Business model and business case development
- CSR and sustainability disclosure and transparency
You understand how marketing and communications professionals as well as CFOs and heads of investor relations think, what motivates them and how we can help our clients to engage these important stakeholders.
This is about more than mastery of a wide range of sustainability issues; we pride ourselves on developing strategies that are not bolted on but built in to the heart of the business so a strong business background is important. We’ll want you to build a business case for our recommendations and support our C-level clients in selling into their C-Suite and their board.
We’re looking for someone to take our strategy team and strategic work to the next level as we continue to grow. We want to produce the best world-changing work in the business and we want you to help us get there. So as VP of Strategy, you’ll be responsible for ensuring world-class strategy output in terms of quality and effectiveness. You’ll also help us attract, retain and develop strategy talent as we grow the team. We’re looking for an experienced manager of people, someone that can lead and inspire others but is also excited to roll up their sleeves and actually do the work with the team. You’ll also have a great network of US-based freelance talent you can tap into as needed.
While strategy is job #1, this is a senior leadership role in an entrepreneurial business in late start-up phase, so you will partner with the US CEO and the team leads across creative, planning and client services to set the direction of the business, expand our offering, build the agency’s external profile and pitch and win exciting new work. This is job for someone who would be excited by this challenge and want to be part of building a new kind of agency model and growing a business. And while the focus is US, you will collaborate with our international offices too, including with the larger strategy team HQ-ed in the UK.
WHAT YOU’RE HERE TO DO
- Drive all sustainability strategy output for Futerra US and work with other offices to constantly advance and evolve thinking on strategy
- Lead, manage and deliver “best-in-class” sustainability strategy work across multiple clients
- Define the vision, direction and goals for the strategy team, align the team behind them and motivate people to deliver on them
- Get the team motivated, encouraging people through relevant ongoing recognition and create a culture of recognition within the team
- Set annual performance objectives, development plans and conduct annual performance reviews with each direct report
Client management and delivery
- Build relationships and trust with strategy clients at the most senior level; usually these clients are VP or SVP of sustainability or CR, or are Chief Sustainability Officers
- Oversee the strategy team to ensure we’re producing game-changing work and continually improve the quality of strategy work on all US accounts
- Ensure excellence in our thinking
- Find inventive, original solutions to client problems, and unlock ideas that truly deliver change in the world
- Present work in a way that enhances our reputation as clients’ business partners, compiling, editing and providing rationale to sell our work
- Play an active role in new client acquisition and new business pitches. Identify new opportunities and establish relationships with prospective clients and participate in or lead new business initiatives including proposal development
Working with others
- Collaborate with client services to deliver world-class work
- Keep up-to-speed with industry trends and developments with current clients
- Lead the learning and development of the strategy team and ensure the broader US team is educated on the latest sustainability thinking
- Lead brainstorms and drive idea generation and development within Futerra – we work in partnership with other disciplines, not in silos
- Help to create thought leadership
- Represent Futerra at external events
- Create content for Futerra-driven communications and projects
- Work with the client services team to ensure realistic budgets and timeframes are allocated to work for the strategy team
- Work alongside the client services team to stick to allocated budgets and timescales for projects
- Maintain a focus on productivity by ensuring that you and the team spend 8/10ths of your time on client work
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW
The VP of Strategy is expected to have the following skills and knowledge:
- Proven track record in a leadership sustainability role in-house or in a consultancy with a good body of achievement to show for it.
- Significant experience managing strategy for client businesses including large scale, multi-channel engagements for multiple clients
- An appetite for seeking out new business opportunity and a demonstrable track record of new business wins
- Proven leadership and strategic ability with excellent client relationship skills
- Expert written, oral communication and presentation skills
- Highly motivated and a passionatepeople leader
- Graduate degree qualification
If this sounds like you, please submit your resume, covering letter and a write of who you think Futerra should work with on strategy and why to: email@example.com.
Over 12 months the word ‘cat’ was mentioned on British TV a massive 14,454 times, whilst ‘climate change’ topped ou… https://t.co/hJYQZxmGnE
Who would win in a fight for our attention – cats or climate change?https://t.co/eEgViiSWlh